News and Announcements
2023 Practice Schedule at Silverlake and Silvercreek pools
-Practice sign ups will open on Monday, April 24th at 8am on the website, under Registration tab.
Silverlake Pool, 2715 Southwyck Pkwy, Pearland, TX
Silvercreek Pool, 2646 S Breeze Dr. , Manvel, TX
May Practices (Begin Tuesday, May 9th) Tuesday -Friday each week
4:00-4:40pm – 10 and Under @ Silverlake and Silvercreek
4:50-5:30pm – 14 and Under @ Silverlake and Silvercreek
5:40-6:20pm – 14 and Under @ Silverlake and Silvercreek
6:30-7:10pm pm – 18 and Under including High School/Jr Coaches @ Silvercreek only
June Practices (Begin Wednesday, May 31st) Tuesday – Friday each week
6:30-7:10am – 18 and Under @ Silverlake and Silvercreek
7:15-7:55am – 18 and Under @ Silverlake and Silvercreek
8:10-8:50am – 18 and Under @ Silverlake and Silvercreek
8:55-9:35am – 10 and Under and High School/Jr Coaches @ Silvercreek only
NO practices on Friday, May 12th. Please come to Silverlake pool between 3:45 and 6:15pm to try-on and purchase your new team suit (vendor will take cash, check or card)
Due to Packet Pickup/Spirit Night at Big Horn BBQ on Thursday, May 18th, there will be no practices this day!
Due to Dawson and Pearland High School graduations taking place on Friday, May 26th, there will be no practices this day!
Due to pools being closed from the Memorial Day holiday, there will be no practices on Tuesday, May 30th!
Update! For all our NEW swimmers this season to the Pirates, tryouts for the 2023 season will be on Sunday, April 23rd between 3pm and 5pm at the Pearland Natatorium!
New USA swimmers do not need to tryout.
8 and unders need to swim the length of the pool freestyle and then length of pool backstroke. 9 and older need to swim length of pool and back by freestyle and length of pool and back in backstroke.
You MUST register your swimmer for the season first at www.pearlandpirates.com
We will email you a Sign Up Genius link to register for a 15 min window for tryouts so there won’t be a lot of waiting around. Email to sign up will go out early week of April 10th. If for some reason your swimmer does not make the team, we will refund your registration fee in full the day of tryouts!
Please email the board with any questions at email@example.com!
HEAD COACH – Walker Wilson
We are so excited to announce that Walker Wilson will be returning as our Head Coach this year for the Pearland Pirates 2023 season! We can’t wait for a great, fun season ahead! Here is a little information about Walker:
Walker started swimming competitively with Pearland Pirates at 5 years old. It was clear from early on that he was a backstroker. After that first summer season, he was ready for more and joined a local USA Swimming club team. Throughout his time in club swimming, he competed in the following higher level meets: TAGS, Sectionals, Zones and Futures
Walker began his high school swimming career with Dawson Aquatics, and earned district champion in the 100 backstroke his sophomore year. During his junior year of high school, he moved with his family to Oklahoma and unfortunately had to sit out a season due to eligibility rules. He came in strong his senior season, helping the team earn its first ever state championship. He also earned gold medals at state for his 100 back and medley relay.
He continued his swimming at the Division 1 level in college at the University of the Pacific.
Walker served as assistant Pirates coach last summer and is excited to be the head coach this summer. Through his 15+ years of competitive swimming, Walker has learned so many important life lessons and he looks forward to sharing his love of the sport with all the swimmers on the team!
Welcome Walker as our Head Coach! Check out one of his Pirates swimming picture when he was little and then all grown up!
ASSISTANT COACH – Laura Rozelle
Welcome Coach Laura! Laura is delighted to be a part of the coaching staff for the Pearland Pirates! From being a swimmer since 1st grade to junior coaching all 4 years of high school, to coach for the Pirates is an honor. Laura swam year round for COOGS and Bridge Bats and her favorite race is the 200 backstroke. Laura will be attending Stephen F. Austin in the fall to study medical humanities.
ASSISTANT COACH – Reece Comeaux
Meet Reece Comeaux! Reece will be returning as one of our Assistant Coaches for the Pirates 2023 season! Reece, we are so exited to have you back on the coaching staff and know you will bring so much knowledge and fun to the practices and meets! Here is a little about Reece:
Reece is excited to be joining the coaching team for Pearland Pirates. He has been swimming with Pirates since he was 5 years old. He is finishing his freshman year at LSU where he is studying engineering. He was a member of the Dawson varsity swim and water polo teams. His favorite part of pirates is playing pickle! Reece also played for the LSU club water polo team this year!
ASSISTANT COACH – Leyton Kraft
Leyton is excited to join Pearland Pirates as an Assistant Coach again this year! He has been swimming with Pirates since he was 7 years old. His first pirate season was when he fell in love with swimming. He swam for year round for PEAK for 8 years. He is finishing his freshman year at Texas A&M, where he is studying engineering, and was a previous member of the Dawson High School varsity swim and water polo teams. He has continued to play water polo in college for Texas A&M’s club team.
Welcome to the kickoff of the 22nd year of Pirates swimming! There is a lot of important information in this so please read carefully! The 2023 Season is coming up soon!
Here are the current nominees for Board Positions. Please let the board know if you would like to nominate someone for one of the open positions. We are still in need or 2 to 3 board members to ensure we have a smooth season as well as continue to have successful seasons in the future! Please email the board at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to volunteer for one of the open board positions. We would love to have you join us!
Board members continuing service:
• President – Jason Sharp
• VP Ways and Means – Vy Collett
• VP Operations – Lauren Witte
• Treasurer – Ron Hatter
•Secretary – Sarah Rozelle
• At Large #1 – Sara Orsi
• At Large #2 – Narelle Thrift
• At Large #3 – OPEN
• Head official – Troy Orsi
• Clerk – Narelle Thrift
2023 Coaching Staff
Head Coach: Walker Wilson
Assistant Coaches: Laura Rozelle, Leyton Kraft and Reece Comeaux
• Registration opens for all returning swimmers, High School swimmers, Jr coaches, USA swimmers: February 13, 2023
• Registration opens for all new swimmers on March 6, 2023
• Must register by April 3rd to guarantee a Pirates shirt at packet pickup
• Registration will be via the online registration process @ www.pearlandpirates.com (click on Registration and follow the prompts)
• Signup for pool & practice times will be later in April (ie – not a part of the registration process and will also be done through www.pearlandpirates.com)
• Please note that we are a swim TEAM and not lessons. Swimmers must be able to swim freestyle and backstroke independently (25 yards of each for 8 and under swimmers and 50 yards of each for ages 9 and up).
2023 Fee Summary
• New and returning swimmers – $185
• USA swimmer – $160
• Junior coach – No cost but All junior coaches MUST register!
• High School swimmer (completed 9th grade) – $80
• FAMILY MAX OF $375 – If your total is more than $375, please pay the total and the difference will be refunded to you.
.2023 Pools – For the 2023 season, we will be having practices at both Silverlake and Silvercreek pools. May practices will be after school and June practices will be early mornings.
2023 Sponsorship Opportunities
• We are actively looking for additional sponsors for the upcoming swim season. We can use all of the community support that we can get and it would be great to get your help.
• If you have a local company and are looking for advertising or community support opportunities, please contact us.
• Do you want to save money on your summer swim team registration? Of course you do! We have a new program this year to help benefit Pirates and to save you money. We are looking for local businesses to sponsor our team and you can help us. For each sponsor you bring in, you will receive a credit back on your registration. Once you turn in their check and their logo, you will earn a credit on your account based on the schedule below:
• Olympic Sponsor ($1000): $100 Account Credit
• Gold Sponsor ($750): $75 Account Credit
• Silver Sponsor ($500): $50 Account Credit
• Bronze Sponsor ($250): $25 Account Credit
• Attached is the letter explaining the levels and benefits for you to give to the potential sponsors.
• Please be sure to put your family’s last name on the form so you receive credit for any sponsors you bring in!
• Please be aware that we will NOT be offering a volunteer buy out this season. All families will be required to volunteer in some capacity at every meet that your swimmer participates in. We will have plenty of opportunities for volunteering including shorter shifts, floating positions and more! Watch for more information coming soon!
• If you are unable to volunteer during meets, there are preseason and support positions available to you.
• We are still in need of volunteers to step up and become a committee head. Please remember this fulfills your volunteer responsibilities for the year! As with all volunteer positions you will never be asked to miss your child’s events. The board and fellow volunteers will always step in so you can step away and cheer on your swimmer. The following committees are in need of volunteers:
• Roster Coordinator: This position will be responsible for submitting the completed roster to the CCSL with any changes prior to the start of the season and on Mondays during the meet portion of the season.
• Sponsorship Coordinator: Responsibilities include coordinating a committee of volunteers to obtain sponsors, gather sponsor information and logos, and coordination of credits for members that participate in the sponsorship/tuition program.
• Marketing/PR: We are looking for a person to head up this new committee! We want to spread the word about Pirates, our mission, the fun things we do and accomplishments our swimmers make. This will include helping with the Facebook, Instagram and Twitter account. Possible coordination of yard signs, car decals etc. May also create flyers to be distributed at nearby elementary schools prior to registration start.
• Ready area coordinator: You will be in charge of coordination of volunteers to staff the ready area during home meets. This will not mean that you work the ready area the whole time. Just make sure your volunteer slots are full and everyone arrives on time.
• RASH chair: Really awesome swim helpers (RASH) is our junior junior coaching program. It was designed to get 6th to 8th grader ready and excited about making the transition to junior coaching. Responsibilities include coordination and signups, getting tank tops made for the kids, and coordination of signing volunteer forms for their hours for NJHS.
• Computer chair: Are you great with computers and networking? We need a point person to help out before meets will updating and maintaining equipment and during meets if the clerk needs assistance.
Please email email@example.com with any questions or to let us know you are ready to sign up!
• Tryouts are required if you are a new swimmer to the Pirates (unless you are a current USA swimmer). 8 years and under swimmer will need to swim 25 yards freestyle and 25 yards backstroke safely. Ages 9 and up will be required to swim 50 yards of each. Tryouts will be at the Pearland Natatorium in last April. Date TBD.
• Packet pickup and meet your coaching staff in May at Big Horn BBQ, on May 18th from 5-7pm
• The meet dates will all be held on Saturdays starting June 3rd through July 1st . The teams we will be swimming against and meet location has not been released yet. See Meet Schedule tab for schedule
• The CCSL Reserve and Champ meet will be July 8th and 9th @ Clear Springs High School
• Practice will begin May 9th and practice signups will be announced after tryouts and when we set practice schedules for the year.
Finally, stay tuned to your email, our website (www.pearlandprates.com), and our social media sites (FB and IG) for all of the latest information leading up to the season.
Pearland Pirates Board
The document Pearland_Pirates_Swim_Team_2023_Sponsorship_Letter.pdf was attached to this post.